plymouth version conflict?

Stan Schymanski stanislaus.schymanski at env.ethz.ch
Sat Dec 5 16:52:33 CET 2020

Hi Daniel,

Thanks a lot for your help, and I really appreciate that you tried to
explain how to fix similar problems in the future. I think it is fixed
now, but I wonder if I understand correctly. I installed libplymouth5
without problems but when trying to install plymouth (after running sudo
apt autoremove, as suggested) I still see the below message, which tells
me that plymouth-label will be installed along with it, but base-files,
bash, libnss-mdns and mawk will be removed:

$ sudo apt install plymouth
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
  libplymouth4
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove it.
The following additional packages will be installed:
  plymouth-label
Suggested packages:
  plymouth-themes
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  base-files bash libnss-mdns mawk
  plymouth plymouth-label
WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed.
This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
  base-files bash
2 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 4 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 155 kB of archives.
After this operation, 7,098 kB disk space will be freed.
You are about to do something potentially harmful.
To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!'
 ?]

Looking through some of your previous suggestions, I tried

sudo dpkg --force-all -P plymouth plymouth-label
sudo apt install plymouth plymouth-label

But it still tried to unisnstall bash among other things, so I aborted.

Although there was no mention of gawk anywhere, I tried your suggested
Step 3:
sudo apt install gawk && apt purge mawk

After this, I could install plymouth, which installed mawk along the
way. Was gawk really needed, or could I just have purged mawk to fix the
problem?

I.e. is the strategy to do the steps that apt wanted to do all at once,
one-by-one, starting with the non-critical ones?

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers
Stan