FR 27.3.2020 - Short Course Machine Learning

Madlene Nussbaum madlene.nussbaum at bfh.ch
Fri Feb 28 18:07:17 CET 2020

<English below>

Liebe alle

Viele haben sich im Doodle eingetragen ;-)
Der ML-Kurs findet statt am:

FR 27.3.2020 - 10:30-17:00
Wo: A.1.05, HAFL Zollikofen

Dieser Kurs ersetzt das R User Treffen vom 11.3. Ich sage dieses hiermit ab.

Schönes Wochenende
Madlene

-----

Dear all

Many people filled in the Doodle ;-)
The ML course is taking place on

FR 27.3.2020 - 10:30-17:00
Where: A.1.05, HAFL Zollikofen

The course replaces the R User meeting of 11.3. This meeting is canceled.

Take care
Madlene

======= Program =======

**Short Course: Mastering Machine Learning for Prediction**

Time: 10:30 - 17:00 Location: presumably HAFL, Zollikofen

Language lecture: English if requested, else German.
Language materials: English.

Expected previous knowledge: Basic know-how of simple and multiple linear regression
(ordinary least squares-method).
e.g. catch up by watching these very simple explanatory videos (1 hour on speed 1.25):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa2APhWjQPc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAgYLRy7e20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQNpSa-bq4M

Please feel free to just join for a part of the course.

Suggested Schedule
------------------------------

Morning: Repeat linear regression if needed (self-study)

10:30 Part I: Introduction and Overview of Machine Learning Methods for Prediction,
Overfitting. Methods in the Context of Supervised Learning: Lasso, Support Vector
Machines, Random Forest, Boosting, Model averaging.

12:00 Lunch Break (Mensa)

13:00 Practical training, Exercises Part I

14:00 Part II: Model Selection and Model Building, Model Interpretation, Prediction
Intervals, Uncertainty, parametric and non-parametric Bootstrap

15:00 Coffee Break

15:20 Practical training, Exercises Part II

16:20 Part III: Model Evaluation, Cross-Validation, Validation Statistics, Good Practice
and Interpretation, R2 vs. r2, Scores for Classification.
-----